Thursday, December 26, 2013

Favorite Movies and Books in 2013

Well, even though my attempts at writing/blogging more regularly have failed mis...er...a...bly I'd like to make this "best of" post a yearly tradition. By doing this I will ensure that at least one post gets published on this blog each year. Victory!

MOVIES
I'll start with movies this time. Again, this list is not the best of movies released in 2013 per se but just best of movies I watched in 2013. I'm not adding any/much commentary this time because I'd end up writing pretty much the same thing on all of them. What constitutes a "good" movie to me is a great or interesting or creative or unexpected story, strong performances, and in some cases, a unique visual element or elements. Also, any mention of the word "we" refers to myself and Michael, that guy I'm married to.

  • Paranorman
  • Beasts of the Southern Wild
  • Arbitrage
  • Lars and the Real Girl
  • Chronicle
  • Oblivion - I didn't love the ending and there were some significant plot holes but visually and musically I was thinking about it for days.
  • World War Z
  • Fargo - We had never seen it before and really liked it. We were saying "Oh yeah?" in a Midwestern accent to each other for the next week or so.
  • Happy People: A Year in the Taiga - Really interesting documentary about a small village of people living off the land in Siberia.
  • Mud
  • 12 Years A Slave
  • Europa Report - We DID NOT like Gravity. While intense, there was zero story in that movie. If you want to see a GOOD space/suspense movie you have to see this.
  • Wild China - Miniseries similar to Planet Earth but completely centered on China. Really great animal footage and stories on the indigenous peoples living in small villages and communities in rural China.
  • Great Expectations (2011 BBC Miniseries)

BOOKS
I read 37 books in 2013. Again, if you're not on Goodreads and you like to read, you should be! I like seeing what my friends are reading. I try to alternate between fiction, non-fiction, and Christian living so I don't end up reading all the same thing. Here's the rundown and the list of my favs.

Christian living - 10 books read
  • Forgotten God by Francis Chan
  • Crazy Love by Francis Chan
  • Fight: A Christian Case for Non-Violence by Preston Sprinkle
  • Knowing God by J. I. Packer
  • Misreading Scripture with Western Eyes by Randolph E. Richards
Fiction - 17 books read
  • The Wrinkle in Time quintet by Madeleine L'Engle - reread
  • Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote - reread
  • And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
  • The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald - reread
  • The Shining by Stephen King
  • Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
Non-Fiction - 10 books read
  • The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
  • Bossypants by Tina Fey
  • Twelve Years A Slave by Solomon Northup
  • 1776 by David McCullough
  • The Art of Intelligence by Henry Crumpton
  • Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin
  • The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
  • The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris by David McCullough
  • John Adams by David McCullough

Any suggestions for me to read or watch in 2014?

No comments: